Listen Live
Mother Feeding Milk To Daughter With Baby Bottle

Source: Elena Pasenko / EyeEm / Getty

A recall has been announced for glass baby bottles after they were found to contain excessive levels of lead. Although the NUK First Choice bottles were manufactured for sale in the U.K., the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports an unknown number of them have been purchased by U.S. customers through Amazon.

The agency points out that lead poisoning can damage the brain and nervous system and lead to speech problems, behavioral issues and slowed development. The eight-ounce bottles are marked with white and gray stars with “NUK” printed in white letters, according to the manufacturer.

They can be returned to NUK for a full refund, a company spokesman says.

Should Amazon be responsible for making sure its products meet safety requirements in countries it sells products to?