Five people were killed including two Watagua County Sheriff’s deputies near Boone, North Carolina after a day-long standoff, according to officials Thursday.
Several police agencies including North Carolina State Patrol responded after a gunman barricaded himself inside a residence in the Brown’s Chapel area of Watauga County.
Officers were called on Wednesday morning for a welfare check in the 530 block of Hardaman Circle in Boone. This was reportedly after the homeowner and his family were unaccounted for and did not show up for work.
“Upon entering the home, deputies received gunfire from an unknown individual within the residence. Two deputies received gunshot wounds,” according to authorities.
Sgt. Chris Ward was airlifted to Johnson City (Tenn.) Medical Center for treatment. He died from his injuries shortly after being transported. K-9 Deputy Logan Fox was killed at the scene. Sheriff Len Hagaman didn’t immediately release information about what led up to Fox’s death.
“This is an incredibly tragic situation and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved as well as their families and our community,” Hagaman said. “I greatly appreciate the tremendous support we are receiving from law enforcement agencies across the region and the state.”
Authorities confirmed the suspected gunman killed a husband and wife before taking his own life. Their names are not being released at this time.
- Radio One Charlotte Announces the Launch of Mix 107.9
- The First Lady Honors Mother’s Day
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Cast Member Leaving the Show
- 4-Year-Old Boy Spends $2,600 On SpongeBob Popsicles Using Mom’s Amazon Account
- Floyd Mayweather and Jake Paul Get Into Physical Altercation At Press Conference
- U.S. COVID cases to the lowest levels in seven months
- Mocksville to dissolve Police Dept., Davie County Sheriff’s Office to take over
- Megan Thee Stallion To Hosts New Online Reality Show
- Justin Bieber Announces Reschedule Dates for the ‘Justice World Tour’
- Ariana Grande & Lady Gaga Concerts Coming to Fortnite?
- 75-year-old Mom Lost Her Job After 50 Years With No Retirement Fund. Here’s What Her Son Did
5 dead including two deputies after standoff in Boone, authorities say was originally published on wbt.com