Lin-Manuel Miranda has done it again!!! I liked “Hamilton” very much – the rap music, the comedy – it was all good. BUT, “In the Heights” was all that and MORE!!! Not to give too much away, but this new film by Miranda (it’s actually older… it was written and performed long before “Hamilton” became a hit – but that’s a post for another day) takes the immigrant story that “Hamilton” started and pushes the viewer so much deeper into a story about the kind of folks that really make America beautiful.
Set in Washington Heights, a neighborhood of people/businesses/stories that’s are slowly being erased by the modernization of New York, Lin-Manueal Miranda made me feel (through his favorite musical device – hip hop and rap music) just how special family and family history is. This is a film about living in a close-knit community that takes care of each other, fights for each other and LOVES each other. I really loved the music, the characters – I kept saying to the friends that watched with me – that it reminded me of the “musical version of Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing”.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
I think if you want to watch a GREAT movie/musical that will leave you wanting to call your grandparents and ask them about where your family comes from, or spend some extra time in the kitchen with Mom/Dad learning how to make that special family recipe – then “In the Heights” is the move for you tonight.
- Flashdance Singer Irene Cara Dead at 63
- Jennifer Aniston Just Bought Oprah’s House
- The Cast Of ‘Love Actually’ Is Reuniting For A 20th Anniversary Special
- Daniel Craig Reveals His Favorite Holiday As An Official US Citizen
- What Time Should Thanksgiving Start? Plus 10 More Turkey Day Questions
- America’s Favorite Thanksgiving Pie Is….
- How Much Are the Backstreet Boys Worth?
- 10 of Google’s Most-Searched Holiday Gifts of 2022
- WBTV mourn the loss of meteorologist, pilot killed in helicopter crash
- 2 dead in helicopter crash along I-77 in south Charlotte